Our volunteers - 2011
We are profoundly grateful to those generous and kind-hearted people who have volunteered with us. We have achieved more than we ever thought possible over the time since our first one arrived. People have helped us in so many ways and we welcome enquiries from anyone who might be interested in coming to work with us – try it! You will learn a lot about yourself too, if the experience of our former volunteers is anything to go by.
A sample of what previous volunteers have offered us includes:- English lessons, organising sales for the co-operative, setting up pupil records and other recording systems, helping with the nursery activities, teaching Primary Maths and science, jewellery- making sessions, primary holiday clubs and a photography course for adults.
We are very grateful to our volunteers of 2011:
- Bronwen continued to help two days a week throughout the year in the nursery class.
- Tammy helped three days a week with admin tasks and with the Primary homework club teaching English.
- Niall taught English with a youth group for three months and on sporting activities with the Primary children.
- Hannah worked with the nursery classes for three months and also helped with admin and with the organisation of the things which arrived in the container.
- Marian worked with the women’s group teaching knitting and Nicola did some training for the teachers on Primary practice.
Vincent returned for the third year running to hold a holiday club for the Primary children. They were very happy to see him.Ken cycled in and spent a few weeks working on technical things to do with our website and our fundraising arrangements, also donating materials to our women’s group.
Thank you very much indeed to everyone for such kindness and the wonderful things you did, all of which have added so much to the work of our project.
For the future
We will accept volunteers for a minimum of one month and we need the following:
- teachers to work in the classes alongside Rwandan colleagues and provide in-service training opportunities for the teachers and assistants on participatory teaching and learning, particularly in science and mathematics.
- teachers of English, especially if you are prepared to work in the evenings to teach the parents at their request.
- artists and musicians to work with the children and the adults.
- help with sports and games for people of all ages.
We need enthusiastic people with ideas – contact us if you think you have anything to offer – we are open to new ideas.